When used strategically, technology can help small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) develop a more productive, efficient and innovative workforce. That’s why businesses that prioritize technology are three times more likely to exceed corporate goals.* In a business world that’s evolving at a breakneck pace, your company may not be able to perform at its full potential if it lacks the necessary technology.
Technology can improve:
- Business communication
- Decision making
- Customer support
- Resource management
- Time and cost efficiency
However, even the most cutting-edge technology can experience the occasional hiccup and slow you down if you don’t keep up with regular updates and support. Performing an annual technology refresh can help you avoid this altogether.
A technology refresh is the process of replacing technology components regularly by evaluating their ability to integrate with other infrastructure components and obsolescence, rather than waiting until the outdated element becomes the most significant impediment to achieving your company’s vision.
A technology refresh is crucial because maintaining legacy infrastructure components comes at a cost. It exposes your systems to hackers, reduces overall productivity and may even drive your most valuable employees out the door because they are tired of dealing with outdated technology that makes it difficult to do their jobs. Additionally, as the costs of maintaining outdated IT components and the risks of failure continue to rise, day-to-day operations can be negatively impacted.
Warning Signs to Look Out For
Is it time to refresh your company’s technology? Keep an eye out for the following six signs:
- Systems are running slowly – Slow systems consume a significant amount of a company’s valuable time. The slowness could be due to several factors including a failed integration, virus or lack of updates. It’s critical to find and fix the problem as soon as possible to get back to optimal performance levels.
- Experiencing suspicious pop-ups – Suspicious pop-ups typically warn users that their system is vulnerable to a security threat or has a technical problem. Cybercriminals then prey on worried users who want to make sure their system is secure by extorting money to fix issues and eliminate threats that do not exist. One of the best ways to keep such malicious players at bay is by immediately refreshing/updating legacy systems.
- Random shutdowns – It’s normal for systems to shut down to install critical updates. However, if the shutdowns are frequent and unpredictable, then there’s a problem that needs to be addressed. While random shutdowns can be due to a range of factors, such as an unstable power supply, virus/malware or corrupted files, it could also be a warning sign that the system is due for an update/refresh.
- Connection issues – Getting cut off from the internet in the middle of a crucial task or meeting occasionally can be inconvenient, but what if it happens regularly? It could be a sign that your system has a flaw that needs to be fixed. However, if software patching fails to resolve the issue, it may be time to refresh the system.
- Lack of integration between your systems, software and technology – Integration is critical for today’s firms because the current technology landscape is evolving rapidly, and businesses may have to depend on multiple vendors for different solutions. So, if any technology component in your company does not integrate with the rest of the infrastructure, it should be replaced immediately.
- Your system acts possessed – You’ve probably seen situations where tabs open and close on their own, the mouse moves in the opposite direction, things open on your desktop at random and files get downloaded without your knowledge. In such cases, you should consider a system refresh before consulting an exorcist. Systems without proper patching and update history may exhibit strange behavior.
Collaboration Is the Best Way Forward
Technological roadblocks can be frustrating and attempting to overcome them on your own can be overwhelming. Get started on your path to a technology refresh with an experienced partner like us. Knowing that the process is in expert hands gives you peace of mind and allows you to focus on growing your business. Contact us now for a free consultation.
To provide you with a thorough knowledge of what a technology refresh entails, we‘ve created a comprehensive eBook titled “6 Factors to Consider When Refreshing Your Technology Infrastructure,” which you can download by clicking here.
*Adobe Digital Trends Report