We are always on the ball in San Diego, even when we’re not on site. Our Managed Detection and Response (MDR) software agents use artificial intelligence to proactively search for, identify, and alert our Security Operations Center (SOC) to developing and ongoing threats within your organization’s network. Real-time monitoring enables your organization to detect and respond to suspicious activity, including providing automated alerts and log monitoring.
The Tech Kahunas Human Advantage
Our MDRs forward threat intelligence and analytics to Tech Kahuna analysts, who respond to threats and cybersecurity incidents skillfully. The impact and risk of cyber incidents are continuous, but our Tech Kahunas and MDRs are a formidable pair; AI is here and our kahunas provide the human element.
What precisely does an MDR do?
– Proactive Threat Detection
MDR services actively monitor and detect potential threats in real time. This proactive approach allows for identifying security incidents before they escalate, helping to prevent data breaches and other cyberattacks.
MDRs sift through their massive volume of alerts to determine which to address first. Endpoint detection and response (EDR) agents give visibility to security events on your endpoints (individual workplace computers). If a data breach or compromise occurs, EDR removes the threat and restores the endpoint to its pre-infected state. However, “managed EDR” (MDR) applies its automated rules, and our kahunas bring human intelligence to the equation to distinguish benign events from false positives and actual threats.
– Threat Hunting and Investigation
You don’t have time to investigate threats, and traditional security measures might miss new and sophisticated attacks. You need an automated detection system and a human analyst to fight human hackers. Tech Kahunas continually stays ahead of evolving threats and the human hackers behind them. Our wise kahuna eyes are focused on your network, identifying and alerting you to ongoing threats.
This minimizes the impact of incidents and facilitates a swift recovery from incidents. What do your security alerts say? What happened, and when did it happen? How were you affected? What is the extent of the incident–and how should you respond?
– Guided Response
When a specific threat does occur, our MDRs deliver actionable advice on the best way to contain and remediate that threat. The type of response provided can range from isolating a compromised system from the network to detailed instructions to eliminate a threat or recover.
Incident response concludes with recovery, without which your organization’s efforts and investment are wasted. As mentioned, our MDRs restore your systems to their pre-attack state after cleaning. Malware is removed, the registry is restored, intruders are rejected, and further compromise is prevented.
What are the benefits of MDR?
The response to a threat is delayed by an average “dwell time” of 280 days (IBM), the duration between the occurrence of a security incident and its detection and resolution before the cyberattack is detected. That means the time between a hacker is in your network and the time you realize it. The longer detection takes, the higher the overall cost to your organization.
Our MDR services aim to reduce dwell time with rapid detection and response that can limit the potential damage caused by a cyber threat. If you use MDRs, your time-to-detect can be reduced to a few minutes.
You can also:
- Improve your security posture and be ready for potential attacks.
- Take advantage of our continuously managed threat hunting to stop the hidden threats at work in your systems.
- Free staff to work on other innovations and projects while our MDRs do the incident response work.
- Take advantage of continuous security improvement. MDR services respond to incidents and provide insights and recommendations for improving overall cybersecurity. This continuous feedback loop helps organizations enhance their security posture over time.
- Take advantage of cost-effective security. MDR services offer a cost-effective alternative to building an in-house security operations center (SOC). Organizations can benefit from the expertise of seasoned cybersecurity professionals without the overhead costs of maintaining an internal team.
What is the difference between our MDR Services and other endpoint protection solutions?
A Note About EDR
As mentioned, EDR is part of our MDR tool set. However, in providing features like AI, machine learning, behavioral analysis, and integration with complex tools, some EDRs need to be updated. Their intention to remove some of the management and free up in-house security teams can also leave your organization less secure because teams may not have the resources or time to configure the agents properly.
Our MDRs record and store behaviors and events on your endpoints and forward them to an automated response and analysis system. But when a security event or incident is detected, you get indicators of compromise (IoCs) and signatures and get your tech kahunas moving into action, giving you a better understanding of what’s happening on your networks. Your kahunas will bring their human expertise and threat intelligence to your technology processes. Our MDRs give you enterprise-grade endpoint protection and our security operations center (SOC) at a significant discount.
A Note About Managed Security Services Providers
While managed security services providers (MSSP) — IT service providers focusing on cybersecurity solutions and services– can be considered predecessors to MDR, MSSPs are still used for cybersecurity. However, MDRs are considered a step up. MSSPs broadly monitor your network for events, send alerts for events, and can provide technology management, upgrades and maintenance, and compliance. However, an MSSP does not actively respond to threats; instead, it sends information about the threat to your in-house team to manage.
An MSSP provides its expertise and information on a 24/7 basis. However, small to medium-sized businesses and organizations need more staff or expertise to handle this and must employ additional consultants or their vendors to mitigate and remediate cybersecurity events. MDRs focus on quickly detecting and responding to threats, providing immediate value with minimal investment.
A Note About Managed SIEMs
Security information and event management (SIEM) integrates tools and services that aggregate data from network sources and security devices. That data can be used to catch anomalies that may signal suspicious activity. SIEMs may also provide technology-only solutions and others like managed event processing and alerting.
Log files usually require some expertise to understand; almost 45% of SIEM customers report encountering this limitation and resolving problems reported by the SIEM. SIEMs tend to be expensive and resource-intensive. MDRs are distinguished by their light network load and, with human expertise, bring a lot of value from their quick performance.
Why Choose Tech Kahunas
Your organization needs to make the correct choice when choosing an MDR solution:
- What kind of expertise do the MDR managers possess? Tech Kahunas provides education so you can avoid hiring additional staff.
- Will your MDR service have access to the breadth and depth of data needed to do its job effectively and in real time? Our cloud solution will have the best access to the correct data.
- Does your MDR team keep you informed of the latest threats? Tech Kahunas is on the job. We build an understanding of the current techniques, tactics, and procedures used by cyber threat actors to target your business.
- How will the MDR provider communicate with your team? While you do save on staff, we will hand some of our workflow to your in-house team. Through our central communication hub, you can message a kahuna as needed about any new points of friction or need for more education for your new technology. You won’t be slowed down.
- Is your service 24/7? If you are a non-technology company, you probably need 24/7 staff. Our MDR operates around the clock. Attackers never sleep.
Conclusion: Stay Scalable and Flexible
Tech Kahunas’ MDR services can scale to your organization’s needs, making them suitable for businesses of various sizes. The flexibility of these services allows for customization based on specific industry requirements and compliance standards.
Engaging with Tech Kahunas provides your organization with peace of mind, knowing that your cybersecurity is in the hands of specialists dedicated to safeguarding your island.